Gibson Guitars are American made, handcrafted instruments. Each guitar is made with attention to detail and quality craftsmanship.
Checkout this video:
Gibson is one of the most iconic brands in the guitar world, with a rich history dating back to the late 19th century. Gibson guitars are known for their quality craftsmanship and beautiful designs, and they have been used by some of the most famous musicians in history. So, where are Gibson guitars made?
Gibson has manufacturing facilities all over the world, including in the United States, Mexico, and China. However, the vast majority of Gibson guitars are made in their factory in Nashville, Tennessee. Here, Gibson employs over 900 workers who are responsible for crafting some of the finest guitars in the world. If you’re looking for a Gibson guitar that is made in America, you’ll likely find it at their Nashville factory.
The United States
Gibson has factories in Nashville, Memphis and Bozeman, Montana – all in the United States. The Kalamazoo factory closed in 1984, but production was moved to Nashville. In 2018, Gibson announced that it would open a new Memphis factory.
Gibson also has two factories outside the United States. One is located in Qingdao, China and the other is in Bubion, Spain.
In recent years, Gibson has shifted much of its guitar production to factories in Asia and Mexico. While the quality of these guitars is generally very high, many players still prefer the instruments made at Gibson’s original factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Gibson opened its first overseas factory in Bozeman, Montana in 2001. This facility was used to produce entry-level acoustic guitars and lower-end electric guitars. In 2004, Gibson closed its Bozeman factory and moved all production to Qingdao, China.
Today, most of Gibson’s entry-level acoustics (including the popular Dove model) are made at its facility in Bozeman, Montana. These guitars are then shipped to Nashville, Tennessee for final assembly. The company’s higher-end acoustic guitars (such as the J-45 and SJ models) are still made entirely in Bozeman.
Gibson’s entry-level electric guitars (including the Les Paul Studio and SG Special) are now made at its plant in Nashville. These instruments are then shipped to Qingdao for final assembly. The company’s higher-end electric guitars (such as the Les Paul Standard and SG Standard) are still made entirely in Nashville.
In recent years, Gibson has also been outsourcing some of its amplifier production to China.
In recent years, Gibson has outsourced the production of some of its lower-end models to China. While the quality of these instruments is generally good, there have been some complaints about sub-par craftsmanship and materials.
In recent years, Gibson has shifted some of its guitar production to Asian factories, such as those in China and Japan. The company operates several factories in these countries, which are responsible for producing various Gibson models.
Gibson has a long history of making guitars in Japan. In the 1970s and 1980s, the company produced a number of its iconic models in Japanese factories, including the Les Paul and SG models. These guitars were very popular with professional musicians at the time, and they are still highly sought-after by collectors today.
In recent years, Gibson has increased its production in Asian countries such as China and Japan. These factories produce a variety of Gibson models, including electric and acoustic guitars. While some guitarists prefer instruments that are made in the USA, others appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of Gibson’s Asian-made guitars.
Gibson started outsourcing the manufacturing of some of its guitars to South Korea in the 1990s as a way to reduce production costs. At first, only lower-end models were produced in South Korea, but by the early 2000s, even some of Gibson’s flagship models were being made there. Today, almost all of Gibson’s lower-end and mid-range models are made in South Korea, while its higher-end models are still made in the United States.
Gibson guitars are primarily made in two factories located in Nashville, Tennessee, and Bozeman, Montana. A limited number of instruments are also produced at a factory in Memphis, Tennessee.
The Nashville facility is responsible for the production of Gibson’s acoustic guitars, while the Bozeman factory focuses on the company’s electric guitars. The Memphis factory produces a small number of high-end custom instruments.
Approximately 95% of Gibson’s guitar production takes place in the United States, with the remaining 5% produced in Indonesia.
While it is true that Gibson guitars are no longer made in the United States, they are still made by Gibson. The company has factories all over the world, including in Nashville, Memphis, and Bozeman. Gibson also owns a number of other guitar brands, such as Epiphone and Kramer.